Search This Blog

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Lets Talk Oils! Part 1: Essential Oil: Eucalyptus and Carrier Oil: Avocado

December 23, 2010

Hello, Hello, Hello!

It's been awhile since my last post just because the holidays are here! I am trying to get back in the swing of things so, lets jump right in!

Doing some research and I wanted to buy some essential oils (An essential oil is a liquid that is generally distilled from leaves, stems, flowers, bark, roots, or other elements of a plant. Essential oils don't really have oily feeling. Essential oils are highly concentrated and a little goes ways)

I found an an essential oil set on Amazon for $19.95 and it includes: Eucalyptus, Lavender, Lemongrass, Peppermint, Sweet Orange & Tea Tree. Which I think is perfect because I am a still learning and going through my T&E(Trial and Error) stage.

So from what I gather you want to add an essential oil with a carrier oil to your hair care products to boost the effect of the product. Like I have said no product is a miracle product, they just help you on your way and these added oils should help. So this is part one of, well I don't know how many parts there are quite a few essential oils and not nearly as many carrier oils, so I will try to stick with the most popular or well known ones but I may add more essential oils as they interest me.

Eucalyptus Oil:
  • Has medicinal properties: Anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic, decongestant, antiseptic, analgesic, antiviral, antibacterial and stimulant properties
  • cooling effect to skin or scalp
  • help to get rid of dandruff
  • stimulate blood circulation
  • increase elasticity of hair
  • this oil in its pure form is toxic, if it is ingested or taken internally
  • is pale yellow in color and watery in viscosity
So Eucalyptus oil should be used with caution and in a diluted form. As with many essential oils, it is a violate substance. Due to it's cooling effects, ability to increase blood flow and elasticity of hair, I would add a few drops to my shampoo because I would be rinsing it out so limiting my exposure.

Let's move on to a carrier oil. A carrier oil is used to dilute essential oils. They carry the essential oil onto the skin or hair. It should be used as natural and unchanged as possible. Organic oils for the win. Mineral oil is not really a carrier oil because it not absorbed by the skin or hair.

Avocado Oil:
  • Light texture that makes it easy to soak into the scalp and skin
  • Can help with hair related problems like hair fall, thinning hair and dandruff
  • contains essential nutrients like proteins, vitamins A, D, E and B6, magnesium, copper, iron, amino acids and folic acid (Side note:Folic acid is super good for your hair)
  • natural sunscreen properties
  • better when blended with other oils like almond oil or olive oil
  • natural humectant properties
So based on these research I might have to do a little T&E and mix a little Eucalyptus in my shampoo and maybe create a deep conditioning treatment or Pre-poo of Avocado Oil, Olive Oil and Shea butter. I want an essential oil in this mix, but that needs more research!

Stay turned for the next part. Let's talk Oils! Part 2: Essential Oil: Lavender and Carrier Oil: Grape seed

1 comment: