Search This Blog

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Hey what about those alcohols...

Hello, hello, hello!

January 1, 2011

This little tidbit was apart of my Let's talk oils seris but I thought this information needed it's out platform as it is such a common ingredient in hair care products and you see it everywhere. These are just the basics as I could gather them and I hope you find the information helpful!

Cetyl and other Alcohol's
Now...I bet you thought I forgot! Cetyl Alcohol. Now when I first started this hair journey I read that alcohol was bad and so I looked for products without alcohol and then I stopped myself and asked "Why is alcohol bad?" Well, alcohol is bad because it can draw out moisture from the hair and scalp. "But there are a few different alcohols listed on various products I use and it seems almost impossible to get any without alcohol! What is a girl on a journey to do? Keep researching is what!

So not all alcohols are created equally and therefore may not be so bad, which is like most things.

Some bad alcohols are ethanol, SD alcohol, SD alcohol 40, Alcohol denat, Propanol, Propyl alcohol and Isopropyl alcohol. They can be used to evenly distribute product through the hair to remove oil and/or residue from the hair. As we all know the act of dirt or oil residue on the hair can be a very rough act for hair which can weaken and remove the elements we work so hard in imparting to our hair. This alcohols can leave the cuticles lifted and rough. So we will call this drying alcohols.

Fatty alchols are Lauryl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Myristyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol and Behenyl alcohol. Fatty is also 'oily'. These alcohol's usually act as an emollient and will help smooth the hair cuticle. Like all things they should be used in moderation as it can react with the sebum you naturally create and cause oily hair. So fatty alcohols not so bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment