Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A few thoughts to someone starting their hair journey

November 10, 2010

Hello, hello!

When I was little, I hated washing my hair because I hated having to dry it and tame it into something other than the poofy mess it would become if I just let it dry. As I got older, I loved washing my hair. Really I just loved letting the water run through my hair and then since I wet it, i put some conditioner on it! Little did I know I was co-washing. Then when I got into my teens and I was really feeling that straight hair, which I had no idea how to achieve it by the way, I relaxed my hair more regularly and I would not wash my hair for weeks after a relaxer! Ruin my straight beautiful hair?! Never!

I tried to get serious about my hair journey last year and so I started trying to wash my hair once a week. I did and flat ironed once a week at least! Than I found out to much heat was bad for your hair! Oh my now what?!

What have I learned? Well, water is good for your hair, Ever notice that the first ingredient in a lot of products that MOISTURIZE is what? As a relaxed woman I know that I need to do more to maintain strength and moisture.

Moisturizing and sealing (M/S). All depends on what your hair needs. If you m/s in the morning and then before bed your hair feels dry than m/s again. I m/s twice a day if I can and I am noticing less breakage.

As for products to use, well my thoughts on that are that there is no miracle product and what works for me, may not work for you. I like to say that the begining of your hair journey is full of trial and error. I try this product and it sucks. I try this product and it's pretty awesome and my hair really responds to it. So then you have to ask yourself some basic questions: What does that product do? (Provides protein? Moisture?) Provides moisture? Sweet! Now I need an awesome product that provides protein or vice versa.

I think some staple items would be an essential oil and a carrier oil. An essential oil would be like: Lavendar, Peppermint, tea tree oil, Eucalyptus oil, Peppermint oil etc. A carrier oil is like: Jojoba oil, Sweet almond oil
Grape seed oil, Avocado oil, Olive oil, Sesame oil, Sunflower oil,Emu oil, Castor oil or coconut oil.

You can really improve a product by adding an essential and carrier oil to it. I suggest you figure out, or try to, what your hair needs and than make your choices based on that.

For instance, I am relaxed and was very naughty to my hair. My hair tends to be dry and I am constantly fighting split ends. I think I need protein and moisture. I am using a protein leave-in conditioner (ProFective Mega Growth Daily leave in conditioner) and sealing with an pre-mixed oil (African's Best Herbal Oil) that I bought and I alternate that with a regular leave-in conditioner (Garnier Fructis Leave-in Conditioning cream-Sleek n Shine) and sealing with the same oil. I use them alternative every day or one set in the morning and one in the evening. It really depends on how my hair feels.

I want to add an essential oil to the mix in my shampoo's and conditioner. I want to add Peppermint and jojoba oil to my shampoo and Castor oil and lavender oil to my conditioner.
So I am kinda cheap, so I haven't purchased an Essential oils, but I saw this on amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Therapeutic-Essential-Eucalyptus-Lemongrass-Peppermint/dp/B002RSEPAY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1289445784&sr=8-2

It has all the stuff I want to try in it. Lavendar oil, eucalyptus oil, peppermint, tea tree and I am hoping the lemongrass and orange smell really nice, I might throw them in to my spray in leave in conditioner.

Anyway, I wanted to post this blog as I answered a post on a hair board and my post was very long and I wanted to add more, and so I did and put it here :)

No comments:

Post a Comment